Better Every Day

Hey folks, thanks for your patience while I finished up my deep dive into Mugsy's pour over cone and motor mount. I'm happy to say my meandering was definitely worth it! 

Problem Solved 

Those who know me know that I frequently spend a lot of time digging into what I do not yet understand. Mugsy is really just the end product of me obsessing over things I wish I knew.  Mechanical engineering happens to to be one of those areas where my workload does not always match up with my knowledge or experience. Not the best starting point when you're building a machine, but this is how I work.   

That is a real roundabout way of telling you that the pour over motor setup had some mediocre designs that I was never 100% happy with. But, you already knew that. In my head, I knew where we needed to be, I just did not yet know how to get there. 

So I'm super excited to share this final-ish design with you.

 

 The render and the cutaway.

The render and the cutaway.

More Better

Once I started playing with the belt a week or two ago, I was smitten. It resolved all of my user set up issues and provided a ton of control. What was lacking was a mount that took advantage of the belt drive's benefits while minimizing maintenance and maximizing repeatability. 

So, long story short, I figured it out. I was able to get the prototype built today and the results were great. This is the piece of Mugsy I was least happy with, and it is now my absolute favorite part of him... Some minor details may change, but this will be Mugsy's pour over cone setup from here on out.

 Pics of the bits:

 The basic setup, cover off.

The basic setup, cover off.

 The base and the cover, laser cut.

The base and the cover, laser cut.

 Main section, freshly printed.

Main section, freshly printed.

 Main section, mounted to base.

Main section, mounted to base.

 Cone gear installed.

Cone gear installed.

 Belt installed.

Belt installed.

 Cover installed.

Cover installed.

 Cone installed.

Cone installed.

 Mounted inside Mugsy's enclosure.

Mounted inside Mugsy's enclosure.

And here is a short video of the very moment I knew the problem was solved. Here is your official bad language warning, hide your kiddos!

Whats Left

You may have noticed that I have not actually installed the bearings yet. I still need to design and test the bearing mounts which I will be starting on tomorrow morning. I also need to decide how I want to mount and set up the stepper motor. There are a couple of options here. I'll start digging into those details on Thursday. There's also a long list of coffee making benefits that I really want to tell you about.

What Else 

I have a lot more news to share with you but I'm going to save it for tomorrow(new integrations!!!). I'm beat and I have a watermelon ice pop calling my name. I will be pushing the update early-ish, so keep an eye out.

 

Thanks again and have a great night!

-m

MComment